This was a post I wrote for the This Morbid Life blog tour that didn’t end up getting used. I thought you might find it amusing. All of these stories are told in full in This Morbid Life.
Top 5 weird facts about Loren Rhoads and her morbid life:
5) I used to publish a magazine called Morbid Curiosity, which collected confessional essays from around the world. Editing those tales taught me that sometimes humor is the only way to survive the darkness. Needless to say, I have a very weird sense of humor.
4) I was shopping in a grocery store during the 1989 Earthquake. The wine bottles were rocking together and exploding, shooting glass into the aisle in front of me. I hadn’t lived in San Francisco very long and didn’t have the sense to be afraid. If you have to survive a killer earthquake, that’s the best way.
3) Once I celebrated my birthday in a pitch-black restaurant where all the servers were visually impaired. It was one of the best meals of my life.
2) I dressed up as my best friend for Halloween. I stole a shirt from his closet and had my husband drawn Jeff’s tattoos on me. Then I answered the door at his Halloween party. The weird thing is, I wasn’t the only person dressed as Jeff at that party. I was the only female Jeff, though.
1) I’ve held a human heart in my hand — and the story (like all the others here) is in my book! The short version: I spent two days alone with a gross anatomy lecturer examining three teaching cadavers. It was an amazing experience.
If you’re a book reviewer:
Please get in touch. This Morbid Life is up on Netgalley until the end of September. It’s also on Bookfunnel. I would like to hook you up with a copy. You can comment below or reach me through the comment form above.
This week’s book tour links:
Tui Snider had me back on her Offbeat & Overlooked podcast. We had such a great conversation!
Emerian Rich hosted my origin story on her Emz Box blog: https://emzbox.wordpress.com/2021/09/15/telling-the-truth-as-a-radical-act-by-loren-rhoads/
Supernatural Central featured two excerpts from This Morbid Life:
The Book Junkie Reads hosted a guest post about the cemetery I grew up with and my openness to ghosts:
The last stop of my official blog tour goes up today at Gail’s Gory Details. It’s your lat chance to enter the Rafflecopter to win a paperback copy of This Morbid Life:
I’m waiting on a few more blog posts to go up after that, along with a handful of interviews. I’ve also recorded a couple more podcasts, but I don’t have the airdates of those yet. It’s been a whirlwind of events.
Last week I had a brainstorm about what my next project will be, so it’s time to clear the decks and start to plan for Nanowrimo. It’s almost time to hammer out another book that I’ve wanted to finish for a really long time.
Get your own copy of This Morbid Life:
Order a signed paperback from Borderlands Books in person or online.
In ebook or paperback from Amazon.
As a signed paperback from my bookstore.